Fontsource is a collection of open-source fonts that are packaged into individual NPM packages for self-hosting in your web applications. This documentation outlines the benefits of using Fontsource and how to get started.
- Self-hosting fonts can significantly improve website performance by eliminating the extra latency caused by additional DNS resolution and TCP connection establishment that is required when using a CDN like Google Fonts. This can help to prevent doubled visual load times for simple websites, as benchmarked here and here.
2. Version Locking
- Fonts remain version locked. Google often pushes updates to their fonts without notice, which may interfere with your live production projects. Manage your fonts like any other NPM dependency.
- Commit to privacy. Google does track the usage of their fonts and for those who are extremely privacy concerned, self-hosting is an alternative.
- Your fonts load offline. This feature is beneficial for Progressive Web Apps and situations where you have limited or no access to the internet.
5. Additional Fonts
- Support for fonts outside the Google Font ecosystem. This repository is constantly evolving with other Open Source fonts. Feel free to contribute!